We had the amazing privilege of meeting Chad Mirkin today at the Emerson Center Lectureship Award Symposium, in which he was the keynote speaker! He is one of the founders of nanotechnology, inventor of dip-pen nanolithography and our boss Khalid Salaita's former PhD adviser. At the poster session, Khalid introduced most of us and we got to discuss our work with him - me, Yang, Victor, Kornelia and Yun.
Why Mirkin is cool
1. He is one of the founders of nanotechnology.
2. He invented dip-pen nanolithography.
3. He is is the Director of the International Institute for Nanotechnology at Northwestern.
4. He has been recognized for his accomplishments with over 90 national and international awards.
5. He is the author of over 562 manuscripts and over 930 patents worldwide (246 issued).
6. He is the founder of four companies, Nanosphere, NanoInk, AuraSense, and AuraSense Therapeutics, which are commercializing nanotechnology applications in the life science and semiconductor industries.
5. He is a Member of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science & Technology (PCAST, Obama Administration).
6. He is the only chemist (one of only 15 scientists, engineers, and medical doctors) to be elected to all three US National Academies (the Inst. of Medicine, the Natl. Academy of Sci., and the Natl. Academy of Engin.).