Khalid treats the Salaita group to beers at Slice and Pint
Stories of the outing
Khalid had interesting stories about beer, and the "science of beer" event for the science festival last year. We also confirmed that Meisa did in fact have a c-section, and he fainted while watching it. I found that hilarious - John will not even try to watch such a thing with me - he's mortified of blood and needles.
Last Week: Discoveries
1. This past week, I discovered that my RNA labeling actually worked! The only thing I did differently was to add RNase inhibitor to all the reaction steps. That seems to have been key. I need this labeled RNA to get a clean gel of my DNAzyme digestion.
2. I got a halfway decent DNAzyme digestion gel of the labeled RNA substrate, however, there looked to be some RNA degradation.
3. I was able to extract the splint band, PCR it, run it on a gel and get only one contaminating band! I need a pure sample for sequencing.
Next Week's Plan of Attack
2. Purify out the splint band from my previous gel and PCR it again, run it on a gel and keep cutting it out and PCRing it up until I have a pure band that I can purify for sequencing.
3. Repeat the ligation reaction with RNase inhibitor this time, to get a third confirmation on the splice product bands. Perhaps RNase inhibitor will make things more clear.