12.19.14 Friday, protein gel and buying presents
12.18.14 Thursday, catching up on things
12.17.14 Wednesday, protein dialysis, mystery of the pink buffer
To complete the protein dialysis, I wanted to do a few more buffer exchanges, once an hour. Remember those office clips? When I walked into the cold room, I found that BOTH protein buffers had turned pink! I was alarmed. What did this mean? It took me a few minutes to realize that our office clips had actually rusted out, turning the buffer pink. >:| Of ALL the things! That meant, of course, that now there were tons of iron ions floating around in our protein too - and who KNOWS what that would do to it. I've read that iron doesn't inhibit our enzymes activity though. I changed out the pink buffer and tried to do more dilutions, but I'm not really sure that I ever got rid of the iron. I doubt it.
I expect that protein to be no good, but hey, I want to know what it's weight is and test it for activity anyway, you know? Sam said, maybe iron is what we needed all along and we didn't know! Ha ha - you never know. :) I went out to eat at 5:30 pm with classmates for an end of the semester dinner - it was so nice to see them all and talk to them. I especially had missed Wallace and got to hear how he was doing. Additionally, I got to meet Morgan's husband Tyler! That was awesome.
More Rusted Buffer and Us Second Years Hanging Out at Slice and Pint at 5:30 - 7:30 pm
12.16.14 Tuesday, protein purification and box extravaganza!
12.15.14 Monday, attempting to do MALDI and failing
Today, I prepped a last buffer for protein purification tomorrow. Sam and I expressed P.horikoshii RtcB and archease last Thursday and stored it in the -80C freezer. He had finals today, so I wanted him to get to see the purification - thus, we're doing it tomorrow. I also tried to do MALDI, but that failed. I could never find the appropriate protein MALDI plate. Hopefully I'll find it soon and try that again on Wednesday when we freeze the protein.
John got the leads to my car battery replaced (after 45 min of wrestling with the bolt on the positive terminal) and it works fine again! Thank goodness it was only the battery and thank goodness for John's handyman-ship.